It is surprising to us that there are still businesses – local, regional or multinational – that have not decided to create a virtual store. This is the obvious step of a digital strategy, especially since what most of them are looking for is to sell more. We are not surprised that there are companies that do not want to have a blog, activate social networks or execute search engine optimization actions —it is perfectly understandable and in many cases coherent. Your managers will surely have good reasons for not doing so: lack of resources, historical data that refutes this activity in the business category or another solid argument. But shutting down the possibility of generating direct digital income does seem very strange to us. Do not you think? Yes, there are Ivory Coast Phone Number List in which creating an online store , due to the type of product or service they offer, is very difficult; but that does not justify the decision not to launch. The difficulty of a task cannot be an excuse not to face it. But this is not the only excuse, there are a thousand others that come out in the committees: «it is evident that our public does not want to buy our products online; they prefer to go to a shopping center “,” we cannot set up an online store because our sales must be assisted “,” at this moment we do not have the resources to set up an online store… That is very expensive ”,“ sending our products to the customer’s house is very difficult and expensive, no one will be willing to pay the value of the freight ”; or our favorite: «we have been selling in the traditional way for thousands of years, why complicate ourselves with internet sales?».
Excuses! Thousands of excuses! All available to avoid the difficult challenge of opening up to electronic commerce. None is acceptable to us. We don’t want to lie to you, having a successful online store is a monumental task; but not because creating it – technologically – is difficult, but because the work after its creation is very complex. More simply explained: having an online store is easy and cheap, but making it successful is complicated. So, the route of many to avoid work is to leverage a supposed technological or market difficulty so as not to have to face the problem. Where do you start? Planning is always the first step. Those who sit down to think about ideas, understand the environment, get to know competitors and structure processes are the ones who stand out. Therefore, we constantly promote a strategic stage as the initial phase to tackle any digital initiative. With a good job here, what follows will be simpler and more orderly – a critical attribute for the turbulence that occurs in any digital project. The planning process must address many aspects, but there are three that are elementary: (i) the conformation of the work team, (ii) the understanding of the buyer person and (iii) the definition of the products or services that will be offered in the online store .
1. The formation of the team is the initial task . It cannot be undertaken without people. To create an online store , a multidisciplinary group has to be brought together to absorb the business needs and nurture them from different angles —design, technology, commercial, logistics, administrative, service, etc.—. Then, roles and responsibilities must be assigned to seek the efficiency that is required in the execution of the task. To delve into this step we have two recommendations: take a look at this video in which we explain in more detail how to form a digital team and review this article in which we explain how to structure a digital team .
2. Define the type of buyer to whom the e-commerce effort will be directed . What is needed here is to take enough time to describe the characteristics, motivations and interests of the potential buyer of the online store ; and thus be able to make the best marketing decisions in the future. A detailed study of the buyer person will serve to create solid and sustainable relationships over time. For this stage we also have a video and an article that may be useful. In the video we share a simple and detailed methodology to create the buyer persona from scratch. For its part, in theThis article explains the strategic value of knowing the attitude of the consumer .
3. Review the portfolio of products or services to select those that will be marketed through the online store . Our suggestion: start with the highest grossing, those who will attract a critical mass of visitors to the website. Then add a couple of projects to them — a hard-to-sell product or service and a launch, for example. Publishing the entire product catalog from Forex Email List the start is not a good idea, because it disperses the effort. It is preferable to test and validate behaviors with a limited catalog; and as you learn and improve the processes, increase it. That is obviously a synthesis of the methodology to create a robust digital strategy. Now, if you want to complement the information and know the method in detail, we suggest you take a few minutes of your time to watch this video . Now yes, to create a virtual store With the plan outlined and internalized by the team, they start the discussions related to the construction of the online store . In this second stage of the process, we begin to talk about implementation, and the first thing to do is choose the three strategic partners: (i) the payment gateway, (ii) the logistics provider, and (iii) the technological platform.
1. The payment gateway will be the platform in charge of processing transactions. This is the first big decision to make. Options? Many, for all tastes and for each type of business: PayPal, PayU, PlacetoPay, EpayCo, Wompi, Pay Zone and many more. What is the appropriate gateway for your business? It is a question that does not have a single answer, because many variables must be evaluated to make the decision. For example, there are gateways that have many payment options, others that charge a lower fee, and some that integrate well with a specific platform. Therefore, each case must be analyzed, the variables reviewed and the decision made. But don’t freeze! Choose one. Without fear. Stick with the one that seems best for your circumstances in principle. If in doubt, seek help. Anyway, always be clear that everything in the digital world is reversible, so don’t worry.
2. Choose the logistics provider . Who will bring the products or services to your clients? That is the answer we must find. Here is another ocean of alternatives — much larger than that of the payment gateways. Check out the famous and the less famous. Evaluate their coverage, their rates, delivery times, the simplicity of the collection process and all the other variables that you can think of. Compare what each one offers you with the particularities of your strategy —for example, if you only plan to sell in one city, because your products are very perishable; It makes no sense to choose one that covers the entire country, but one with good delivery times and streamlined collection processes. You can’t freeze here either! Remember, reverse is an easy option in the digital world.
3. What everyone expected! The selection of the technological platform to create the online store . There are lots of options here too: Wix, WordPress , Shopify, Magento, Vtex, Prestashop and a few others. Which to choose? Depends ?. Yes, we know that you came here looking for answers and that in this article you would love to find a step by step of the type: choose A, then B and finally… et voilà! Everything is solved. But in real life that is impossible; because each business is full of peculiarities that prevent a single recipe that works for everyone. In some businesses, a cheap payment gateway must be chosen —because its margins are low— and in others the critical variable is the ability to integrate that payment gateway with a specific technology. In some businesses the logistics operator must be very fast and in others it must have enormous national coverage. In some businesses a simple platform is required – to feel the market – and in others a gateway with the ability to develop omnichannel actions. Each scenario is a different world, therefore the choice of the three partners must be tailored to the circumstances. And we repeat: that cannot paralyze you! Take a route later you will have the possibility to review the decisions you made and redirect the path. There is no perfect decision, that is why it is called a decision.
Design your digital marketing plan
So far, what you have is a plan and a platform to start working. Did you have any doubts about the previous stages? Do you want to review everything? Watch this video where we explain in detail how to create a successful online store . The next step is to sit down and sell. As simple as that. So basic. You already have a 24/7 store to which you must create the conditions for potential buyers to come to it and buy like crazy. And we say: “You must create him”, because that is your responsibility. The conditions to sell do not arise alone, by the work and grace of the Holy Spirit; They are the result of intense work and with the help of tools. There are plenty of tools available to create those conditions as well, and your choice will depend on the resources you have on hand. So the way is to test and measure to find what works best for your nascent online store . Now, what we can do to help you in this selection process is share the most popular ones and tell you a little about what each of them could contribute. The five tools most used today to boost an online store are: SEO – search engine optimization from English, search engine optimization – activity on social networks, digital advertising, email marketing and influencers..
1. SEO is the most difficult digital activity, but the most efficient . It takes a lot of work to achieve a good position in search engines, but when it is achieved, the benefits are huge and long-lasting. To achieve good results here, the team will have to work on the content, on the organization of it on the website, on the loading times, on the frequency of publication, on the labeling of the images and on a thousand other things. Then have enough patience to wait for the results; because in addition to being difficult, it is a long-term bet. Are you interested in learning more about SEO ? Check out this video where we explain the process in more detail .
2. Social media is the most famous action, but it also requires a lot of work . Building a successful active social media presence is a difficult and, in many cases, frustrating task. To achieve good results with Facebook, Instagram or YouTube —to give three common examples— resources must be allocated for the creation and curation of content, establish customer service protocols and design call-to-action mechanisms so that the matter is not addressed. stay in a simple conversation. Businesses that choose this path to boost their online storeThey must invest in people who manage each presence and in tools that facilitate the processes of publication, attention and monitoring of conversations. In addition, they should design mechanisms that help them identify the most efficient actions, to focus on them and improve results. The matter does not sound easy at all!
3. The advertising option: easy, powerful and fast to implement . Well-used digital advertising is high-octane gasoline for e-commerce. It is a kind of shortcut that could be used temporarily or permanently – it will always be useful for us. With an austere investment, high-quality creative work, advanced targeting, landing pages designed for conversion, and the implementation of good funnels, digital advertising can catapult any business to success. An online store , to get off on the right foot, will need advertising.
4. Email marketing and marketing automation . Two possibilities that generally work as a team. Both efficient, but slow to take off, because creating a high-quality database and defining automated procedures that adapt to the particularities of a market is not an easy task. Now, once the database is obtained and the automations are built, the tool is highly productive and will yield a very attractive ROI – return on investment . The email marketing , with the appearance of automations, had a second wind in the marketingdigital and we must take advantage of it. With the right database, sending captivating emails is like fishing alone in a pond full of fish.
5. Influencer marketing . This is our last option to promote a nascent online store – repeating that the five that we enunciate are not the only ones, but the most popular ones. It is an explosive alternative, although it is high cost and short-lived – if we compare it with advertising or with activities on social networks. Hiring personalities who have a large audience and whose personality is consistent with your products or services can be a masterpiece to start an online store . As an option, it has many pros and some cons; therefore, we are not very captivated. But in some cases it is highly recommended and efficient. If you want to delve into this topic, we also have avideo in which we share our opinions about influencers .
Finally, optimize until you drop
The cherry that will perfectly crown your online store , to make it really useful for your business, is optimization. Because the consolidation process does not end with the design of the digital marketing plan . Absolutely! Working in e-commerce is an endless task, in which every day you must strive for the efficiency of actions and for the improvement of conversion rates to achieve excellent profitability. Therefore, the team must work in any direction that helps improve the numbers. Here – pretend amazement? -, there are also many possibilities. Our favorites are four: upselling , cross selling , A / B testing and analytics.
1. Upselling and cross selling . The first is a sales technique that induces the customer to buy more expensive products or services, so that each customer is more profitable. While the second – which in Spanish could be called cross-selling – is a sales tactic that seeks to get the customer to buy other complementary products. To understand it better: when in a camera store the salesperson suggests that you buy a “more professional” camera, you are experiencing an upselling action in the first person. And, after three days, when an email arrives offering you a tripod, editing software or a professional photography course, you are being the subject of a cross selling action.. The two tactics are very easy to implement in e-commerce and are very useful for any business.
2. A / B tests are an excellent alternative to optimize the results of an online store . An A / B test is an experimental exercise in which two variants of something are faced to identify the one with the best performance. You can do these kinds of tests to find the best product photo, the most engaging ad, the most alluring call to action, and all the rest. With this possibility, nothing should be left to chance. Each color, each image, each typeface, each functionality and each action undertaken should be subject to this filter to achieve a very high optimization of the effort.
3. Finally, the analytics. This is the optimization mechanism par excellence . More than an action, it is a behavior. Instilling data analysis in the team — to enhance the good and discard the bad — will make a difference in the medium term. Everything in the online store should be questioned and evaluated from the metrics: every source of traffic, every consumer device, every page displayed, every penny invested … Everything!
In conclusion, launching into electronic commerce is a decision that cannot be postponed today. You don’t need years of work or multi-million dollar investments. It only requires a methodical planning work, the selection of good partners, the design of an efficient digital marketing plan and an unwavering decision for optimization. Doing it that way is a guarantee of success, in the short or long term.